To help students write their own lab report I have come up with some ideas for self-help. Some may seem obvious, but maybe they will help someone save a little time in preparing a lab report and avoid using someone like me because, as I mentioned earlier, I should only be available to those who need a last-ditch solution.
- – Always be certain about the subject of an lab report. This may sound obvious, but it repeatedly happens every term where students have not focused on a topic or gone off on a tangent because they have not fully understood what the professor or instructor requires. If uncertain, approach the professor to fully comprehend the scope of the assignment. A good professor will appreciate a student being so conscientious.
- – Use libraries. They are full of information and staff to help you find exactly what you need. Spending just a few hours in a library can often provide all the information you require to ace an lab report. If uncertain about how to properly use a library, consider this an opportunity to become acquainted with this valuable resource.
- – The Internet has volumes on practically every subject and is also easily accessible. However, caution should be exercised when using online information as not all of it is credible. Sometimes a student may think they have found the perfect site to use for their lab report, but it can become apparent too late that it isn’t credible with misleading facts or information. Always use multiple sites for cross-referencing to help establish if information is accurate.
- – Never start researching and writing lab report just prior to a deadline. Not only does this put needless pressure on a student, but it also shows up in the content and style of the lab report as being rushed. Needless to say marks for such an essay will be low. If you were an athlete, would you rush into competition without preparing first? Similarly, consider writing an lab report as a brain sport.
- – Stay focused. Don’t let extraneous distractions (texting, music, phone calls) shatter your thoughts. In certain brain tasks, like lab report, there has to be un-interrupted focus and if that process becomes broken, it has to be rediscovered, or worse, is irretrievable.
- – For people who need to have something to look forward to while doing lab reportthat’s regarded as arduous, consider various respected task methods.